Will Businesses Make 2021 The Year of the Linux Desktop?

Writing for TechRepublic, open source advocate Jack Wallen predicts 2021 will be a year where open source technology dominates the world of big data even more than 2021 (with a big role predicted for SUSE). But he also sees businesses cutting costs by switching to open source solutions — including a big move to Linux on enterprise desktops, thanks to enterprise-ready options now available from System76, Lenovo, and Dell:

This will have the added benefit of even more companies jumping into the mix and offering more and more desktops and laptops, all powered by Linux and open source technology.

One added bonus for this movement is that System76 will finally gain the recognition they’ve deserved for so many years. Linux on the desktop would not be where it is today, had it not been for their stalwart support for open source technology. Year after year, System76 has proved that high-quality, business-class systems, powered by Linux, can be produced at a level befitting the enterprise.

That success within the realm of business will start trickling down to consumers. As more and more people start using Linux at their place of business, they’ll begin seeing the benefits of the open source operating system and desire to adopt it for their home computers. I suspect that by the end of 2021, we’ll see Linux desktop market share to finally break the 10% bubble. It may not sound like much, but given how Linux has hovered around 2% and maxed out at 5%, that 10% figure is like a dream come true.

That’s only the tip of the iceberg. Although Linux will max out at around 10% by the end of the year, it will lead to continued growth over the coming years.

5 Likes

Its really amazing to know that open source and linux is finally gaining momentum. Even if it doesnt reach the 10% mark, it will be really amazing if it even reaches the 5% mark and continue to rise.

Well I’m using Ubuntu 20.04 I don’t use Windows anymore… :slightly_smiling_face:

update to 20.10 if you’re not into LTS versions

1 Like