[SOLVED] Laptop freezes with blurry screen & screech sound

I’m using acer travelmate 5720 laptop

Specs:
320GB HDD
4GB RAM
Intel core 2 Duo @2.2Ghz
Integrated Intel 965 Graphics chipset

At first it was occasionally, i faced this issue. Suddenly my

> system will freeze with blurry lines and screech sound.

Then after, it begun to happen very often now.

I even formatted the whole HDD and changes to latest build WIN 10 OS. But its of no use.

Even in ubuntu OS , i faced the same problem.
I checked the HDD health, and its showing good. Data are undisturbed and fine.

Fortunately,

> In safe mode it works fine., I worked for more than 12 Hrs now and it doesn’t freezes or given any problem.

I tried installing Zorin OS., its got froze even before loading the installation files.
But again windows 10 safe mode works fine.

I doubt it’s a graphics card problem., but since my laptop has an integrated graphics card., i dont know what to do.!!

I can’t keep on working on safe mode itself.,

I’m expecting some solutions or opinions from you guys.

Thanks in advance!!

It’s because of the processor, or the fan

You can read what actually happening and why it’s causing the issue.

Control panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer > (Expand) Windows Logs < To see software related errors.
Expand > Applications & services logs > Hardware events < Here you can see the errors of why it causing freeze issue, see what’s getting failed. simply search the error code and you will find the solution.

Knowable causes: Heating issues, can be supply or processor fan or card (these hardwares chipped into the board so if it gets heat other things will do). dust issues cause problems, mostly if you clean such things or take your laptop for service, it probably act all good. in fact, if you’re not clean installing the OS, then probably some kind of services interrupting, as I mentioned above about event viewer, check if it’s service or hardware, you can disable service if it’s causing the issue.

• Run Ram (Memory) test.
  • Run Disk checking to make sure HDD not containing any bad sector.
  • You may run hardware diagnostics to check the functionality of system hardware.

Remember, when you run OS in safe mode, that means it has disabled such services and hardware accelerators, so that’s why it ain’t gonna freeze or get hanged.

Do let me know! :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks!! I’ll try it

It looks like you have done most of the main troubleshooting. :thinking:

Screen locks up and screech sound from speaker. is commonly caused by incorrectly configured system settings or irregular entries in the Windows registry. This error can be fixed with special software that repairs the registry and tunes up system settings to restore stability

If you have Screen locks up and screech sound from speaker. then we strongly recommend that you Download (Screen locks up and screech sound from speaker.) Repair Tool.

• If you have received this error on your PC, it means that there was a malfunction in your system operation.

Common reasons include incorrect or failed installation or uninstallation of software that may have left invalid entries in your Windows registry, consequences of a virus or malware attack, improper system shutdown due to a power failure or another factor, someone with little technical knowledge accidentally deleting a necessary system file or registry entry, as well as a number of other causes.

The immediate cause of the “Screen locks up and screech sound from speaker.” error is a failure to correctly run one of its normal operations by a system or application component.

Scratching noises and freezes are definitely not good signs for the drive’s health. It could be having problems that chkdsk is not able to detect.

What kind of make and model is the drive?

I would suggest you using the manufacturer’s software (if there is such) to check the drive’s health and also run SMART and post the results here.

Make sure also that the drive is not being affected by anything else in the box.

Post back! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have done a clean installation of Windows 10., and as said earlier, it is working fine in safe mode.

So that i tried the same for windows 7 OS., but in win 7 safe mode, i tried normal resolution rather than the default safe mode resolution. That resulted in same problem for me after few hours of normal operation.

320GB HDD - WDC WD3200BEVT-22ZCT0 ATA DEVICE

DriveInfo.txt (9.6 KB)

I done MEM tests and it didn’t showed any errors. Also i used seatools to analyze the drive in safe mode. Initially the SMART test got passed but short and long generic tests got failed.

If it’s coming from the hard disk, the head on the reader may have made contact with the drive. If you need data off the drive, take it to someone right away and power it down. Otherwise the drive platter and reader head will become too damaged to economically recover.

Typical desktop hard disks spin at around 7200rpm, 2.5″ laptop drives are typically slower, but regardless it will get damaged if left operating in that fashion as im sure you can imagine from the sound.

Ensure it is the drive before taking it in for data recovery or repair. Fans in a computer can get noisy as they go bad as well, so verify it is not that. Also, if it is less of a screeching and more of a buzzing, it could be a capacitor on your motherboard going bad.

When the drive moves to access data it will result in scratching on the platter and data corruption. if you are mechanically apt, you can use a (probably) tamper proof torx bit to open the drive, and gently lift the arm off the platter. It hovers a fraction of an inch above the drive platter, so don’t bend it up, ensure you keep it clean as possible, and reassemble.

There are a few videos on youtube that demonstrate how to do this, but keep in mind, if it is valuable data, do this at your own risk. Otherwise contact a professional.

Extra

3 Likes

thanks for your information!!

I’ve double checked the HDD and its working fine without any unstable or bad sectors.

Apparently, It must be the graphics card problem, because even in windows 7 safe mode, i faced the same problem., the only difference was it had higher resolution than that of windows 10.

Since i cant afford to repair or replace anything, i’m staying with windows 10 safe mode.

If there is any way to enable sound in safe mode? that information will be of more use to me.

Thanks!!

To enable sound in safe mode

This is how you do it:
At your cmd prompt, you have to enter this

REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\AudioEndpointBuilder" /VE /T REG_SZ /F /D "Service"
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\MMCSS" /VE /T REG_SZ /F /D "Service"
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\Audiosrv" /VE /T REG_SZ /F /D "Service"
net start AudioEndpointBuilder
net start MMCSS
net start Audiosrv

Now audio should work in safe mode. :slight_smile:

In Windows 10 Safe Mode, the OS will be started with only core components,

and many other non-necessary drivers or services such as

• video drivers,
  • sound will be disabled.

Third-party startup programs are also prevented from loading. And this makes it easier to isolate causes of operating system problems.

2 Likes