Can Firefox Be Saved?

“Even with another infusion of cash from Google, you have to wonder just how long Firefox will survive as a viable, mainstream web browser,” argues ZDNet contributing editor Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols:

I’ve been using Mozilla’s Firefox browser since it was still in beta. In 2004, for a while, it was my favorite web browser. Not because it was open-source, but because it was so much better and more secure than Internet Explorer. That was then. This is now. Firefox is in real danger of dying off…

Mozilla and Firefox still produced important work. You need to look no further than the JavaScript, Rust, and WebAssembly languages. They were also champions of security and privacy. Projects such as embracing DNS-over-HTTPS (DoH) and overall security improvements were great, but users didn’t care. With the arrival of Google’s Chrome browser, users turned from Firefox to Chrome as their favorite browser…

Firefox is on its way to irrelevance. Making matters even worse, Mozilla’s just had its second round of layoffs… As technology writer Matthew MacDonald put it, "Mozilla “.” Firefox’s security and development teams have also been hard hit. This is bad. In January. Mitchell Baker, Mozilla Corporation CEO and Mozilla Foundation chairperson, said it let people go because of declining interest in Firefox, and thus reduced earnings, and that Mozilla was looking for more revenue from “sources outside of search” but “this did not happen.” It still isn’t happening. According to Mozilla’s latest annual report, the majority of its revenue is still generated from global browser search partnerships. This includes the deal negotiated with Google in 2017… Baker assured onlookers that Mozilla would “ship new products faster and develop new revenue streams.” These include its bookmarking app Pocket; its virtual rooms Hubs; and its $4.99-a-month Firefox VPN. Excuse me if I don’t buy any of these new revenue sources…

Firefox will live on in one way or the other. It’s open source after all. But Firefox as an important browser, or Mozilla as a significant open-source developer hub? No. I can’t see it. Those days are done. Firefox is officially on my endangered species list.
Technology writer Matthew MacDonald ended his Medium essay on a more hopeful note. “If you have the skills and time, the best possible support is to join the Mozilla community and contribute to their code base.”

6 Likes

**Been love with it since I’ve known browsing, although i was a complete noob but still it was recommemded by most, a bit laggy in latest updates but I love it more than Chorome espacially, Reliability,Security & in user privacy it was best **

2 Likes

This is based on a small number of people’s personal opinions. Mozilla have stated that they are not in any financial difficulty. Firefox is so superior in every way it makes Chrome look like a toy.

2 Likes

GNUzilla would be next and good choice.