What's the Best Linux Distro for Enhanced Privacy and Security?

https://media.linuxsecurity.com/images/HomepageBannerImages/LS-hmepg-337x500_23.jpg

Slashdot reader b-dayyy quotes the Linux Security blog:

While all Linux ‘distros’ — or distributed versions of Linux software — are secure by design, certain distros go above and beyond when it comes to protecting users’ privacy and security. We’ve put together a list of our favorite specialized secure Linux distros and spoken with some of their lead developers to find out first-hand what makes these distros so great.
This “favorites” list cites six “excellent specialized secure Linux distros.” Some highlights from the article:

• In a conversation with the LinuxSecurity editors, Qubes OS Community Manager Andrew David Wong elaborated, “Rather than attempting to fix all of the security bugs in software, Qubes assumes that all software is buggy and compartmentalizes it accordingly, so that when flaws are inevitably exploited, the damage is contained and the user’s most valuable data is protected.”

• A Kali Linux contributor provides some insight into the distro’s history and the benefits it offers users: “Named after a Hindu goddess, Kali has been around for a long time — but it’s still updated weekly, can be run in live mode or installed to a drive, and can also be used on ARM devices like Raspberry Pi.”

Obviously there’s strong opinions among Slashdot readers. So share your own thoughts in the comments.

What’s the best Linux distro for enhanced privacy and security?

2 Likes

I was reading up on Qubes recently. Makes a lot of sense to me. It looked like a better way to run multi OS vboxes than the way I was thinking. I was planning to use LumIT Labs OS as Linux base then some of parrot sec on top. Which would host Kali toolkit or win10, MySQL so on in VMs etc https://github.com/LumIT-Labs/thin-vdi#how-to-deploy

2 Likes

Kali being named after a Hindu goddess is incorrect. According to their website kali.org:

“Hindu Goddess of time and change? Philippine martial art? Cool word in Swahili? None of the above. “Kali” is simply the name we came up with for our new distribution. Why change the name in the first place? With all these significant changes in our distribution, we felt that we needed to convey this in the project name. “BackTrack 6” didn’t do justice to our efforts in the past year, and wouldn’t convey our new message to our users. What’s the new message? We’ll let you find out for yourself.”