Virtual Machine or Live USB? Kali Linux Pros and Cons

Should I install Kali Linux on Virtual Device or as Live usb?
What are the pro and cons?
Also, is it worth it to install it on your Android device? Or is it just a waste of time?

3 Likes

@SilkyBob, Check here: Kali Installation : Dual Boot VS Live Boot VS Virtual Machine

Yes, you could install it on your Android device, for learning purpose and experimentation!
It would be easier for you to install, if you have a rooted Android!
For actual application, you don’t want to use this method!!!

4 Likes

What are the pros and cons of using Kali Linux over other Linux distros?

Compare Kali to a screwdriver.

Kali is specifically put together for one purpose - penetration testing. The screwdriver is for driving screws.

Pro: Kali is very good for penetration testing. The screwdriver is very good at driving screws.

Con: Kali is less than useful for general work - it lacks most of the tools needed for ordinary office work. The screwdriver cannot saw, plane, or drive nails.

Potential modifications: you could add the tools you want to Kali. That’s very easy to do. But Kali is still not right for everyday working., and each tool you add gets in the way of Kali’s main purpose. The screwdriver? You can add a saw, a hammer, and so on - you end up with a Swiss Army Knife which will drive screws, but not nearly as effectively as a proper screwdriver.

Kali Linux is live linux distribution.

Live linux distribution can boot from DVD or USB Flash.

You can even cut of completely your HDD device before boot, and Kali Linux just work in any cases.

Live linux don’t mount your HDD by default. If you boot live linux, your computer can work without HDD device.

All elements of live linux operating system loading and working into RAM memory only.

Like other live linux distros, you can choose if you want or not to install it to HDD as regular desktop system.

The only difference between Kali and other distros is the group of installed applications (Python, Kismet, WireShark, Metasploit, and other security packets of applications).

You can use some ordinary distro like Ubuntu, and install same applications, settings and drivers, and you have identical distro to Kali. (Source: Quora)

Good luck! :+1:

8 Likes

Definitely Live CD. First its like a Swiss knife and can perform faster.
Since the beginning am not a Ubuntu distro fan ! Which I am coming from Red Hat, Debian and Mandrake school.

For that reason Knoppix Live CD would be my first suggestion :heart:
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

But there is other solid solutions as well such as

Debian gives you a lot of options for live images. There are 64 and 32 bit versions available and a nice variety of desktop environments, including GNOME, Cinnamon, KDE

Fedora offers a lot of features for their live images. You can install software while using a Fedora live CD and you can even enable data persistence so the changes don’t get erased. Fedora includes the latest and greatest Linux packages, and the live images are no exception.

Puppylinux Puppy Linux gets a special mention among live CD distributions. The entire operating system only weighs in at about 300 MB and its system requirements are incredibly small, making it one of the most ideal choices for live CD tasks

http://puppylinux.com/index.html#download

Kali linux is a Linux distribution built for security auditing and ethical hacking. It’s packed with hundreds of penetration testing and similar tools.

1 Like

If I am only interested in Ethical Hacking wouldn’t Kali Linux be the best choice for me? Is knoppix a competition or is it just a tool that will help me install Kali on live usb? @scanteam

1 Like

Kali or Knoppix

Both variants have their pros and cons. If You are not so familiar with Kali, You should install it on a virtual device and learn, that way You can use both, Your desktop/laptop and virtual machine, it is more convenient. In my opinion, on live usb and Android only when You get some experience working with Kali and it tools…
Also, if You are using Ubuntu as Your daily driver, You can install “Katoolin” Kali tools on it…

I could say agree but the things is not like before. Terminal usage less auto installers more . Also YouTube has many contents but of course you need some basic Nix knowledge

There is also Parrot OS similar to Kali…