usbsas is a free and open source (GPLv3) tool and framework for securely reading untrusted USB mass storage devices.
Following the concept of defense in depth and the principle of least privilege, usbsas’s goal is to reduce the attack surface of the USB stack. To achieve this, most of the USB related tasks (parsing USB packets, SCSI commands, file systems etc.) usually executed in (privileged) kernel space has been moved to user space and separated in different processes (microkernel style), each being executed in its own restricted secure computing mode.
The main purpose of this project is to be deployed as a kiosk / sheep dip station to securely transfer files from an untrusted USB device to a trusted one.
It works on GNU/Linux and is written in Rust.
- read files from an untrusted USB device (without using kernel modules like
usb_storageand the file system ones). Supported file systems are
- analyze files with a remote antivirus
- copy files on a new file system to a trusted USB device. Supported file systems are
- upload files to a remote server
- make an image of a USB device
- wipe a USB device
Applications built on top of usbsas:
- Web client / server: This is the main application of usbsas, for deploying a secure USB to USB file transfer kiosk.
- Fuse implementation: mount USB devices (read-only) with usbsas.
- Python: usbsas can also be used with Python, a script that copies everything from a device to another is given as example.
- Architecture and technical documentation
- Build and usage documentation
- Kiosk deployment documentation
- Live ISO documentation
- Developer documentation can be generated with
$ cargo doc
Any contribution is welcome, be it code, bug report, packaging, documentation or translation.
Dependencies included in this project:
ntfs3gis GPLv2 (see ntfs3g/src/ntfs-3g/COPYING).
FatFshas a custom BSD-style license (see ff/src/ff/LICENSE.txt)
fontawesomeis CC BY 4.0 (icons), SIL OFL 1.1 (fonts) and MIT (code) (see client/web/static/fontawesome/LICENSE.txt)
bootstrapis MIT (see client/web/static/bs/LICENSE)
Latofont is SIL OFL 1.1 (see client/web/static/fonts/LICENSE.txt)
usbsas is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
usbsas is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.