Getting Started in Security with BHIS and MITRE ATT&CK w/ John Strand (4 Sessions – 4 Hour Classes)
- Mon, Jul 27, 2020 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM EDT
- Tue, Jul 28, 2020 12:00 PM – 4:00 PM EDT
- Wed, Jul 29, 2020 12:00 PM – 4:00 PM EDT
- Thu, Jul 30, 2020 12:00 PM – 4:00 PM EDT
Instructors: John Strand
Price: Pay What You Want! (Explained in detail on registration page)
- VMs with all the labs
- Class slides
- Recording of the class
This 16-hour (4-days, 4-hour sessions) information security training class is designed for people who are new to computer security. We will cover the core fundamentals with lots of hands-on labs demonstrating the attacks and defenses every security professional must know to be successful.
At Black Hills Information Security we conduct over 500 security assessments per year. This Wild West Hackin’ Fest training class takes the top vulnerabilities we discover and boils it down to the top 11 things every organization should be doing to protect themselves. We call this the Atomic Controls.
While many security classes can be overwhelming with the amount of data they force on you in a short period of time, this class is designed to help you focus on what matters to your day to day job. So no, we are not going to force you to learn archaic technologies and the underpinnings of crypto algorithms. Instead, we will focus on what actually works for repelling and detecting attackers.
- Understanding and defending against the attack techniques we see
- Hands-on mastery of the topics
WHO SHOULD TAKE THIS COURSE
Anyone new to information security.
AUDIENCE SKILL LEVEL
People new to information security.
- Solid Internet access
- A computer with at least 8 GB of RAM. 16 recommended
- VMWare (Fusion is fine)
- An up to date Operating System (i.e. Don’t bring Windows XP)
- Full Administrator/root access to your computer or laptop
WHAT A STUDENT SHOULD BRING
- The above computer and a smile.
WHAT STUDENTS WILL BE PROVIDED WITH
- Slide deck and links to all the material and tools needed with instructions.
- VMs with all labs
TRAINER & AUTHOR
John has both consulted and taught hundreds of organizations in the areas of security, regulatory compliance, and penetration testing. He is a coveted speaker and much loved SANS teacher. John is a contributor to the industry shaping Penetration Testing Execution Standard and 20 Critical Controls frameworks.
Join the Wild West Hackin’ Fest Discord server to stay updated on future training and webcasts: Join Our Server!