[SOLVED] How to Download on going live youtube videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHW1oY26kxQ ( live video link)

Is it possible to download an ongoing live video which is streaming on youtube?
The live video link is mentioned on the top.

6 Likes

Yes, it’s possible. Note that the below process I’m going to describe is for downloading both video & audio (if you only want to download the audio from the live stream, you can do that by recording your computer audio device using Audacity)

1] For the whole process to work, you will have to make sure you have Python installed (you can download the latest release here)

2] After you installed Python, you have to install the PIP tool by using the following command:

py -3 -m ensurepip

3] Now you have to install the YT downloader tool called “streamlink” by using the following PIP command:

pip install streamlink

4] Now change the current working directory in the terminal to the path where you want to download the file:

Windows: cd c:\users\YourUserName\downloads
Mac/Unix: cd /Users/YourUserName/downloads
Linux: cd /home/YourUserName/downloads

5] And finally, to download a live YT video stream type the following command (the below command is specific for the video link you provided)

streamlink --hls-live-edge 99999 --hls-segment-threads 5 -o "video.mp4" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHW1oY26kxQ best

6] You will see the tool streaming the video to your hard drive. Since it’s an ongoing stream, it will probably never end, so when you think you’ve downloaded enough you can stop the process by hitting CTRL+C and your file will be ready.

Below is an example output of this command that downloaded 24 sec. / 178 MB of live stream:

[WARNING: this tool and the above command will download the best quality video, so make sure you have enough hard drive space for it]

16 Likes

Hey buddy, thank you very much.
You saved my ass big time.

3 Likes

Awsome bro!

2 Likes

I got the above error, pls help

You probably forgot to install streamlink, step 3 from my post:

pip install streamlink

Or maybe you installed it manually in a different way than the method I suggested above. If you are certain you installed streamlink, then you have to edit your Windows’ environment PATH variable to include the streamlink path, or instead of using “streamlink” use the actual location to the program where you installed it, something like "C:\<location_to_streamlink>\streamlink.exe … "

3 Likes

Well done @trexoftsys I’m impressed and really happy to have experienced members like you around, Thank you for providing the perfect solution, there is nothing else required for me to add. Cheers :blush:

THREAD MARKED AS SOLVED.

3 Likes

Thanks.This helped

3 Likes