[SOLVED] How do I trun my old PC into a server?

Hello Folks, I have an old PC which works totally fine. I planed to make a server where I can host my website. Any guidance?
Many Thanks

9 Likes

It is very simple:

1. Port Forwared 80, 443
  2. Install Web Server, PHP and Database you can just simply install xampp, wamp or uwamp
  3. Get a static IP from ISP, if you can’t, use dyndns/noip (Dynamic Dns service online, which regularly update your computer IP with the DNS).
  4. If you are using static IP goto domain registrar and register a DNS and point to your domain name.
  5. If you are using DYNDNS /noipyou have to use DYNDNS/noip DNS
  6. Setup Bind DNS on your computer.

I don’t want to go in detail, you can search on google for each and every steps.

You can do it easily, you can host WordPress on your PC. The first thing you should make sure that you are using any type of local server or not host, if not then you should install any local server on your personal computer like-

Download XAMPP Apache- XAMPP Installers and Downloads for Apache Friends

Install WAMP server- Download here

After installing a local server on your PC, you have to pest your file under the folder C drive >> WAMPP/ XAMPP >> WWW . And you should start your local server to double click on XAMPP/ WAMP shortcut that created on your home screen.

Now open your browser Chrome or Firefox >> enter in the URL field localhost/ your file name and click enter button, and your website running well as GoDaddy Server or RedServerHost . Now you will see that your website running on your PC same as another server. And you hosted your website on your home PC (Personal Computer)

I hope it will help you…

Thank you!

12 Likes

There are already many freehosting providers that provides you hosting at no cost. Though if you have a old pc and want transform it into a server. First of all My answer is Yes you can transforn your old PC into a server. But as always you need power supply with internet connection available all the time. I mean 24 hours else if any problem arises your PC goes down then your website will also go down.

How to host is already solved here - [SOLVED] How do I trun my old PC into a server? - #2 by TheJoker

3 Likes

Agree, for learning and testing purpose, it is good to give a try and see how was the flow. For production, definitely not a wise choice.

1 Like