How to remove Spotify's ads / audio ads / banners etc... for desktop

• First of all you need to uninstall your current spotify version (if you have spotify installed) and download an old version of spotify from here.
  • After downloading and installing the old version of spotify you’ll have to download this file and drag it to your spotify directory.(you can do that by right clicking the spotify’s shortcut and click open file location)
  • Last thing you need to do is to block spotify’s updates using these commands:
    Open command prompt by typing cmd in the search bar or pressing “windows key + x” and clicking command prompt.

del %localappdata%\Spotify\Update

mkdir %localappdata%\Spotify\Update

icacls %localappdata%\Spotify\Update /deny “%username%”:smiley: (it’s “: D” but attached not a smiley face)

icacls %localappdata%\Spotify\Update /deny "%username%":R

Description of given commands:

1st command - Removes directory C:\Users<your username>\AppData\Spotify\Update
2nd command - Creates directory C:\Users<your username>\Appdata\Spotify\Update
3rd command - Denies delete permission to your account for C:\Users<your username>\Appdata\Spotify\Update requiring administrative prompt for delete privileges, preventing spotify from removing it without admin
4th command - Denies read permission to your account for C:\Users<your username>\Appdata\Spotify\Update requiring administrative prompt for read privileges, preventing spotify from placing the update program in it without admin>\Appdata\Spotify\Update requiring administrative prompt for read privileges, preventing spotify from placing the update program in it without admin.
Note : if you don’t trust the file, scan it in virus total.
sometimes a popup of spotify says to restart spotify for the updater, just ignore it.
Done.

11 Likes

Yes its a nice method but it may lack some feature or malfucntion as the version is 2years old better to create a premium account with a bin.

Or simply use the web version with ublock origin extension.

2 Likes

You could also use:

5 Likes

I actually don’t like changing the hosts file because sometimes while an audio ad should play, the song just don’t play and you need to reinstall the app.

Here…
I once made a video guide for this.

1 Like

Hey could you please upload the file link? it says that it is unavailable

1 Like

Here… I reuploaded it and updated the link.