How To Check Your Laptop's Battery Health In Windows 10 Easily!

The Windows 10 Battery Report feature breaks down whether your PC’s power source is ready to give out or has some life left in it. Here’s how to monitor your laptop’s battery life.

Batteries power our favorite electronic devices, but they’re not meant to last forever. The good news is that Windows 10 laptops have a Battery Report feature that breaks down whether your battery is still kicking or is on its last legs. With a few simple commands, you can generate an HTML file with battery usage data, capacity history, and life estimates. If it needs to be replaced, this report will tell you, long before it has a chance to fail.

Generate Battery Report in PowerShell

The Battery Report is generated via Windows PowerShell, a built-in command line tool you may have never used before. The easiest way to access it is to right-click on the Start icon and select Windows PowerShell (Admin) from the menu that appears. A pop-up window may ask for permission to make changes to your device; say yes.

The blue PowerShell command window will appear, allowing you to enter commands to automate certain tasks within Windows 10. Type or paste powercfg /batteryreport /output “C:\battery-report.html” into the window and press Enter to run the command.

PowerShell will then tell you the name of the generated battery life report HTML file and where it has been saved on your computer. In this case, it is called battery-report.html and it has been saved to the C drive. You can now safely close PowerShell.

View the Battery Report

Open Windows File Explorer and access the C drive. There you should find the battery life report saved as an HTML file. Double-click the file to open it in your preferred web browser.

The report will outline the health of your laptop battery, how well it has been doing, and how much longer it might last. At the top of the Battery Report, you will see basic information about your computer, followed by the battery’s specs.

In the Recent usage section, take note of each time the laptop ran on battery power or was attached to AC power. Every drain over the last three days is tracked in the Battery usage section. You can also get a full history of the battery’s usage under the Usage history section.

The Battery capacity history section shows how the capacity has changed over time. On the right is Design Capacity, or how much the battery was designed to handle. On the left, you can see the current full-charge capacity of your laptop’s battery, which will likely decline over time the more you use your device.

This leads us to the Battery life estimates section. On the right, you’ll see how long it should last based on design capacity; on the left, you’ll see how long it’s actually lasting. A current, final battery-life estimation is at the bottom of the report. In this case, my PC would last 6:02:03 at design capacity, but will currently hold out for 4:52:44.

Happy learning!

9 Likes

I can’t get PowerShell to recognize the “powerconfig” command. Any suggestions ?. Thanks

me too. I hope someone has an idea for this.

1 Like

if the command is not working then use it through cmd. it works perfectly. just run as administrator

Be watchful about the spaces if incase you are typing it and not copy-pasting it. Happened with me so suggesting the same.:slight_smile: