How to Abuse Zoom Webinar/Meeting Software to Steal Windows Credentials

A vulnerability exists within Zoom with the way that it handles UNC paths in its chat feature. UNC (Universal Naming Convention) paths are used by computer systems to reference network resources and typically look like the following:

\\computer\share

As you can see from the above text, this path is listed out in this blog post as text, but isn’t a clickable link. The vulnerability that exists in Zoom is the fact that these paths are clickable links that will automatically attempt to take users that click on them to the share, whether it exists or not.

Why is this a problem? Most webinars/meetings in Zoom will allow all attendees to type in the chat. This would allow a nefarious actor to place a malicious UNC path into the chat and direct users to interact with it.

The exploit we’re going to use isn’t new. In fact, I’ve already written about it in a previous blog post! I highly recommend that you check it out, as I’m not going to go as in depth as I did in that post; Abusing LLMNR/NBT-NS in Active Directory Domains: Part 1 (Capturing NTLMv2 Hashes).

Table of Contents:

• Performing the attack
  • But wait… You need local network access?
  • Mitigation Strategies

Full tutorial is available at the below link

3 Likes