Google Teamdrives (Introductions, Features and Limitations)! A complete guide!

This whole post will be a guide for About Team Drive
Even If you know (or You think that you know everything )about TD, I insist you reading this post. I am 100% sure that you will find at-least find 1-2 new things, tricks, info…

**Things included in this post **

• [Features]
  • [How to use a TD]
  • [Limitations]
  • [ How to copy shared folders/ files in TD ]
  • [How to share links of files present in TD]

Features of TD (in short and only required ones)

• It’s a GDRIVE for whole team.
  • Storage space is unlimited. (A single File can be 5TB at max)
  • Any member can access any file present in team drive.
  • Less prone to DCMA takedowns (means copyright issues for pirated contents)
  • Excellent for Back ups
  • And lot more.

How to use a TD

• It’s basically a GDRIVE (an unlimited one in terms of storage space). You can create folder, upload files, download files, edit and rename them. Basically you can do everything that you do in your GDRIVE.
  • You can use it for copying shared files and making backups and lot more

Limitations

• A shared drive can contain a maximum of 4,00,000 files and folders.
  • A single shared drive can nest up to 20 sub-folders.
  • Limit for individuals and groups directly added as members: 600
  • Max copy/upload to TD is 750GB/DAY. (including upload quota from which you have logged in and accessing TD)
  • You can’t generate a share link for folders. But same is possible for individual files.
  • You can’t copy/move folders to/from TD ( work around is mentioned below ). But same is possible for individual files. (UPDATE:- Now you can move folders from TD to Gdrive in web version. but reverse is still not possible on web version)
  • If the EDU account from which TD is created, Gets deleted or disabled, Then TD will not be deleted (provided you have added other members as managers) ( this is the biggest doubt of all person. Hope you are clear now )

Hope you have understood how TD works and how to use TD to maximum potential.

Note :- If you have less than 750GB data, you can use airexplorer or mixplorer.
But If you have more than 750GB data to copy in a single day, Then you have to use FOLDERCLONE.

20 Likes

I have a couple of questions.
I have a .edu Gdrive from which I wanna move FOLDER not individual files to a TeamDrive/SharedDrive on another gmail account.
I cannot do that. It works with Air Explorer because it automatically creates a Folder and pastes the files individually and also it takes up my personal bandwidth not Google side servers.
Apart from that, Mixplorer will use my bandwidth or Google servers?

Note:
1).The .edu mail has been granted manager permissions to add/delete files in the Shared/Team Drive on the other gmail account.
2).Air Explorer WILL take up your personal bandwidth. I can confirm this as I’ve used it to transfer data from one account to other while monitoring the process on Glasswire and Task Manager.
3).I need to know if it’s the same with Mixplorer.

Please help, thank you.

2 Likes

@rawn7702
If you transfer files from google drive to team drive of same account then it won’t use your bandwidth. If you transfer from one account to another or one account to team drive associated with other acoount, then it will use your own bandwidth.

1 Like

Okay. Thank you for clarifying that.

You can also use google colab to copy and move folder from team drive to local google drive with just a simple copy command. Yes, Google Colab mounts both TD and Regular google drive.

3 Likes

Very detailed info. Tha ks for sharing.

Your uploaded picx aren’t showing. Can you pls reupload directly.

Cheers!!!

… And Over Every Possessor of Knowledge, There is (Some) One (Else) More Knowledgeable.

1 Like

Please reupload images because images are not showing

So please reupload it

Thanks for the share. However, the pics that you uploaded are not showing. Hope you can re-upload. Thanks

I have a edu email, but I can login it on microsoft. How can I login on gmail?

reupload images @beast

images not showing up again, plz fix it

Good job bro …thank you for in-depth information !

screenshots not available please look in to the matter… @beast

1 Like

can you uptate the screenshot @beast

Please update screenshot @beast