Do you have CamScanner? Google takes it down from Play Store after Kaspersky finds malware

After cybersecurity firm Kaspersky found the problem with the app called CamScanner, it reported the issue to Google which has taken it off from Play Store

CamScanner

• Google has removed CamScanner, a hugely popular Android app on Play Store that scans files and converts them into PDFs and has been installed over 100 million times. After cybersecurity firm Kaspersky found the problem with the app called CamScanner, it reported the issue to Google which has taken it off from Play Store.

“The popular CamScanner — the phone PDF creator app — caught our attention. The developers position it as a solution for scanning and managing digitised documents, but negative user reviews that have been left over the past month have indicated the presence of unwanted features,” said Kaspersky researchers Igor Golovin and Anton Kivva in a blog post. After analysing the app, they saw an advertising library in it that contains a “malicious dropper component”. Previously, a similar module was often found in preinstalled malware on Chinese-made smartphones.

“It can be assumed that the reason why this malware was added was the app developers’ partnership with an unscrupulous advertiser,” the researchers noted. The team reported to Google about the findings and the app was promptly removed from the Google app platform.

"The Trojan-Dropper.AndroidOS.Necro.na functions carry out the main task of the malware: to download and launch a payload from malicious servers. As a result, the owners of the module can use an infected device to their benefit in any way they see fit, from showing the victim intrusive advertising to stealing money from their mobile account by charging paid subscriptions," the researchers noted.

Source: edexlive

10 Likes

Sad!! It’s my only hope when scanning docs :frowning_face:

Tq for information:blush:

Luckily, I did not use it.

use adobe scan , it is much more better than cam scanner

Use notebloc

lol I use cracked full version of this app :stuck_out_tongue: