Create Own Private Proxy | How To Create Squid Proxy

What is Squid?

Squid is a caching proxy for the Web supporting HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, and more. It reduces bandwidth and improves response times by caching and reusing frequently-requested web pages. Squid has extensive access controls and makes a great server accelerator. It runs on most available operating systems, including Windows and is licensed under the GNU GPL.

How to create own Squid Proxy?

Before creating your private server, you need to create Ubuntu VPS from azure, AWS, google cloud or any service

For other providers the method is same you can take reference from the above articles.

I hope you have created the Ubuntu VPS by now. If yes, then let’s move on the topic, i.e. creating own squid proxy.

Note: Don’t forget to enable the port that you want to use in your proxy server.

Note: You can change the location of your Proxy by changing the location of the VPS server.

1. Login to your Ubuntu VPS using SSH. If you don’t know how to connect to SSH follow this.
  2. After login you will see the screen like below. I am using the google VPS so it may be abit different than yours.

1. Installing Squid Proxy.
    To install in Ubuntu VPS run the following command.

1. After installing the squid, move to the squid folder

1. Create the backup of the squid config so that if we mess during configuring the server we can comeback at any time and restore from backup.

1. Remove the squid configuration.

sudo rm -rf squid.conf

1. Create New squid configuration.

sudo nano squid.conf

After executing the command above enter the following code and hit control + X in keyboard and press “Y”. It will save our configuration file

http_access allow all 
http_port 20000

1. After creating new squid configuration file restart the squid server by following code.

sudo service squid restart

After the server is restarted out proxy server is running. To connect with our server now simply put the ip as your server and 20000 as the port as we have used it as port in step 7. Note you have to enable that port in your VPS before enabling it in step 7.

Now you have created your own server, to connect with proxy server simply follow this whatismyip.

Source: thetechrim

Have fun!

2 Likes