Chrome OS May Finally Be Getting a Dark Mode

New submitter andreavenezia shares a report from The Verge:

Chrome OS may finally be getting a dark mode, but so far it’s only been spotted in its experimental Canary channel, Android Central reported. Before you go tinkering with Canary just be advised: Canary is Google’s “bleeding edge” Chrome OS path, which receives daily updates of features before they’ve been widely tested. It can only be accessed from Chromebooks switched into a special developer mode (not to be confused with the Chrome OS Developer channel). Google warns that Canary can be “unstable.”

But at the moment, to activate dark mode on your Chromebook, you need to have the Canary channel installed. Once you’ve done that, Android Central says you just open Chrome and type in chrome://flags/#enable-force-dark and chrome://flags/#enable-webui-dark-mode into the URL bar. I should note I tried this on my older Chromebook and wasn’t able to get it to work. But here’s the view Android Police captured. Android Central says the dark mode has some bugs, but notes it seems to apply across the UI, not just as darker backgrounds.

1 Like

Is chrome os really worth using it? Whenever I think of chrome, I have a picture of person stuffing his mouth with food [ RAM ].

2 Likes

My niece hates it the limitations are too much! If it has an intel processor you can change it to windows I will be doing that for her soon.

2 Likes

Yeah, it might be so. Because it’s new in the game though maintained by google. Or you can give your niece Linux for the machine. While for general purpose windows will work the best?

1 Like

We were going dual boot with Linux at first, but then learned that the Chromebooks with Intel processors can be changed to Windows and she rather have that for her age Linux has more than ChromeOS, but it doesn’t have her games and stuff like Windows does. She’s also already used to Windows from her old laptop. I’m currently learning how to use my Linux dual boot so maybe when I understand it more. I can get her to try it as well. Right now though I can tell it’s not for her.

1 Like

Yes, It would be better that you learned it first. So, kinda a upper hand you will be for your niece if she faces any problems with it. Also, steam is now available for Linux and with wine installer you can get windows software up and running for you Linux machine.
Well, thanks for all your replies and may you have your best days before you and prosper well.