Apple Introduces M1 Chip-Powered iMac

Apple has finally given the world a dramatic new iMac redesign, aimed at the company’s long-standing goal of “making the computer disappear.” From a report:

Naturally, the latest version of the 24-inch all-in-one desktop is built around the company’s new proprietary M1 chips. The screen sports a 4.5K Retina Display, coupled with a 1080p camera – a first for the Mac line, and a sign the company is taking both audio and video more seriously as these products are serving as a kind of life line for the work from home crowd. True Tone is, naturally, on board for better color balance, and sound have been improved with six-speaker setup.

The new devices are significantly thinner – with overall volume reduced by half, according to the company. The rear is also flat, instead of curved. All told, the company says it’s up to 85% faster than the last model, coupled with a GPU that’s up to twice as fast and 3x the machine learning. Around back are two Thunderbolt ports and a new magnetic power adapter that also delivers Ethernet. The system comes in seven colors. It starts at $1,299.

5 Likes

Meanwhile my workstation has twice as many cores, 75% higher clock speed, four times as much RAM, twelve times as much storage, 1,243 times as many GPU cores, 30% higher GPU clock speed, better compatability and deep learning capability. Well done Apple. Keep up the “innovation”. :+1:

As an Apple certified engineer lets see Jared :slight_smile:

3.1GHz 6‑core 10th-generation Intel Core i5, so twice more core means you have minimum 12 core over 3k Ghz ? Can you tell me what type of CPU you have ?

Default comes with 8gb for normal users but do not forget you can customize it up to

• 3.6GHz 10-core 10th-generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz
  • 128GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
  • Radeon Pro 5700 XT with 16GB of GDDR6 memory
  • 8TB SSD storage
  • 10 Gigabit Ethernet
  • Magic Mouse 2
  • Magic Keyboard - US English

Please if you do not know about a thing first investigate

BTW i did not mention iMac pro and Mac Pro !

CPU is a Ryzen 9 3950X 4.7 GHz, GPU is an RTX 3080. As a professional Data Scientist, I think computer hardware is something I have at least a working knowledge of.

In fairness, as you pointed out, the specs on a Mac can be upgraded to somewhat decent levels, for the bargain price of $8,728.00. If being trendy is worth that much to you, that’s your deal.

I’m more excited for the iPad Pro with the M1 chip :star_struck:

2 Likes