3 Things You May Not Know Built In Windows 10

Here today to let you know about 3 little features of Windows 10 that you probably don’t know.

If you did know about them you are more than welcome to skip to the end or browse the next thread.
That being said, let’s begin:

1. Windows Timeline

Windows rolled out a Timeline feature in its April 2018 update. Some think it’s awesome, but I don’t switch computers a lot. Still, it can be useful in many ways.
It’s basically like a browser history for your desktop programs, showing files you’ve opened before in a chronological order. You can pair this with the “Pick up where you left off” in the modern MS Office apps, so if you left your super-spy report on a workstation in Germany, you can access it with your Surface in Japan. Or something like that. However, it’s still in development as many software companies haven’t made use of the “Pick up where left off” feature. Timeline is tied to your Microsoft Account, so if you store your files on the cloud you can resume where you left off no matter which computer you’re currently at.

To open Timeline, you can click the TaskView icon in Windows Taskbar, or if you are like me and don’t keep that in the taskbar, just hit Windows Key+Tab .

Let’s move on.

1. Virtual Desktops

Virtual Desktops are one of the things I thought were unique to Linux, and some people will use 4 desktops at a time. I don’t have that kind of brainpower. But Windows 10 has virtual desktops. Microsoft just likes to hide things. To start your own virtual desktop, click the TaskView icon or use Windows Key+Tab to bring up the timeline. There in the top left corner, select the tiny +New desktop text. You can also use the same icon or key combination to swap between desktops.

Enjoy your new found productivity (or a good way to hide a screen from prying eyes).

1. Windows Reliability Monitor

There is a little known tool that can sometimes warn you of impending blue screens of death, and the headaches that come with that. Windows has a built in reliability monitor that provides a day-to-day case-by-case snapshot of the health of your system. It’s very handy if you’re trying to figure out if that last Tacotuesday.exe you installed is killing your system. It is good for trying to figure out problematic software that may be making your rig unstable. To find it, simply type Reliability into the Windows search bar and select the View Reliability history option that appears.

If you are seeing a lot of red X’s you might want to back up your system ASAP.

Well, hopefully you learned something today, even if it wasn’t from me. Enjoy!

9 Likes

Thank you Very useful